Monday 2 July 2012

Rava Idly




Rava idli is a recipe which I make for my kid when we all have upma. Because my son will not have upma , he will say its spicy because of ginger bits and green chilly and we cannot have upma without that. So I used to take the same rava which is roasted and same veg for our upma and boil it in idli plate for my kid. So it will become easy for me. U know feel Rava idli is better than upma , so ill also have one or two in the name of my son.

Serves 2


 Ull Need :

  1. Rava (Roasted) - 1 Cup
  2. Curd(can be little sour) - 1Cup
  3. Carrot - 1 Med size
  4. Ginger 
  5. Green chilly(optional as per your taste)
  6. Cashew
  7. Coriander leaves
  8. Baking soda (Optional )

 For Seasoning : 

  1. Mustard - 1tsp
  2. Bengal gram - 1 tsp
  3. Urud dhall - 1 tsp
  4. Curry Leaves

Method :

  1. Roast Rava in a pan ,transfer it to a vessel and allow it to cool.
  2. Then add one cup of curd and mix well and add salt
  3. U can add baking soda now. I have not added in my recipe as it for my kid and not good for health also. Baking soda can be added if you need the idli's fluffy otherwise its not necessary. the idli will be soft even if you do not add baking soda.
  4. Keep it aside for 15 to 20 min.
  5. Cut carrots into small bits, chop coriander also.
  6. Take a kadai add oil or ghee for kids and mustard.
  7. When it splutters add Bengal gram, urud dhall and curry leaves
  8. Now add carrot bits ,so that it will not have raw mell when you eat.
  9. Jus fry for 2 min and add it to the rava idli batter
  10. Now add half of the chopped coriander leaves.
  11. Mix the batter and dilute with water.
  12. The mixture must neither be thick nor watery, it should be like idli batter
  13. Grease the idli plate with oil and pour the batter in the mould and cook for 15 - 20 min.
  14. You can poak the idli with knife and check if it is done.
  15. Serve hot with chutney or idli milagai podi (I love ravaidli with idli podi)
  16. If it is kids they can have with jam or cheese.


You can use Baking soda when you serve for guests so that the idlis will be soft and fluffy.





No comments:

Post a Comment